|The Parallel Forrest|
The Wichita Mountains are one of the oldest mountain ranges in the world, which also means there isn't much left of them. They are not tall and mighty peaks. This adds to the beauty in my opinion. They are small, dome shaped peaks full of weathered boulders and beautiful hiking trails for every type of hiker. You can read more history about the Wichita Mountains here.
Now, on to our adventures and what I recommend checking out if you make your way to the Wichita Mountains.
- I always recommend checking out Medicine Park, a quaint little town nestled at the foot of the mountains. It is absolutely beautiful, filled with local culture and music. Check out some of the pictures we snapped the last time we stopped by.
Jumping from the Cobblestone paths
Medicine Park Music Hall
Smelling the roses
Panorama of Medicine Creek
Sitting on the steps to the entrance to the swimming hole
Looking down Medicine Creek
- After your time in Medicine Park, I recommend taking a short drive up East Lake Dr around Lake Lawtonka. Here you can find great camping, fishing, boating, swimming and so much more. It is such a fun little lake. I usually do day trips here, but I spend my evenings in the NEXT destination.
- When you are looking for somewhere to camp in the mountains, you have to check out Camp Doris. It is my families favorite place to camp in the Wichita Mountains. Why? I can't even tell you, I just have to show you.
Sitting by the campfire Sipping my coffee And then came the deer
They surround the camp sites
And they get very very close
- As if these weren't enough reasons to visit this beautiful place, I have more. The Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge. Inside the Wichita Mountains, there is a refuge. As if you needed something MORE, there is the Holy City, Jed Johnson reservoir, and Mount Scott view point. These are things you will definitely want to check out if you drive through. If you get a bit more adventurous, you will want to check out these next 2 places!
Holy City Easter Pageant taken by Trevor Lockhart
- My final 2 things you must check out are The Lost Lake and The Parallel Forrest
Lost Lake after a rainstorm